Thursday, November 29, 2007

Final Fantasy VII: A Fanboy's Confession

We all cried when Aeris died... yes! yes! I know, that line is as old as the internets. Fortunately, I'm not going to talk about that here. This article was written quite a few years ago, but I felt that it could use a little more exposure. The character descriptions are based on my own speculations and I do not claim them to be completely accurate.

I can still recall it quite vividly. 5 years ago, I stood before a glass counter gawking at the beautiful cover artwork of various playstation titles that sold for 60 pesos per CD. Pirated CDs abound in the Philippines and they were once sold out in the open in shopping malls, but 60 pesos was still a lot of money for me. My mind was already made up, I had 300 pesos in my wallet and I would spend a portion of it to buy the 3d beat-em-up game "fighting force," which was the "in" game at that time. However, I noticed someone playing another game on the store's tv set. It was a quaint game with colorful characters with large heads that I mistook for a kid's game, but there was something about it that caught my attention. The same something that told me this would be the most unforgettable game I would ever play.

Thus, I bought my very first console rpg "Final Fantasy VII" for 175 pesos (about one dollar and fifty cents) and this initiated my journey into the wonderful world of rpgs. I spent hours on the game, reading the dialogues of all the characters, even the villagers, line by line and saving my data whenever I could. I wasn't familiar with the level-up system, the buying from towns, the money, in short, I was a total greenhorn to rpgs. Perhaps this can attribute to my deep-seated fascination and attachment to the game. Spurred on by FF7, I quickly became an rpg fanatic, I scoured the local stores for any and all psx rpgs I could buy. I spent all my free time on rpgs like Lunar, Lunar II, Grandia, Legend of Legaia, Star Ocean 2 and others I failed to mention. Those days before I became interested in the world wide web, were perhaps the apex of my enjoyment of rpgs.

The internet didn't become popular in the Philippines until sometime in 1999, thus, my rpg gaming was never hampered by the influence of the world wide web. It was only about a year ago, when I first read the unbelievable number of posts in the FF7 board on gamefaqs.com or learned about using and writing walkthroughs.

Reading through the various posts in the FF7 board, made me think twice about my own addiction with FF7. The words of the other fans hurt me deeply, though I could never admit it until now. Thus, I was introduced to such derogatory and discriminatory terms like " FF7 fanboy," or "square fanboy." (would you call a female FF7 fanatic a fanboy too then?) They gave these terms an assortment of meanings such as "someone who thinks FF7 is the best rpg only because they've never even heard of rpgs before." Or even worse, "someone who hasn't truly played the game." I was totally lost, caught in a crossfire between those who considered themselves the FF7 elite and the FF7 fanboys. FF7 was reduced to a competition to see who had the best materia, the best character stats, the best anything. I spent many sleepless nights pondering questions like "FF7 was my first rpg and I still think it's the best rpg, so does that make me a fanboy?" and even "I haven't even completed half of what those guys have done, and they don't think FF7 is the best rpg. Maybe I should reconsider?"

Though this experience was mildly traumatic to me, I looked back on my roots. Even before I became interested in rpgs, I was already into anime, thus I looked to the daily anime marathon on AXN, hoping that my troubled soul might find comfort in the catharsis brought about by watching (as one person from a certain forum puts it.) drawings of people with huge eyes. Then, like St. Augustine's awakening brought about by reading Romans 13:13 in the bible. I was awestruck by the words of the corrupt monk Genjo Sanzo reciting his famous lines with the very uplifting song "Open Up Your Mind" playing in the background. "Vanity of Vanities. Kill the Father as you meet him. Kill Buddha as you meet him. Neither fascinated nor bound by anyone. Just live your life in the way you are."


(Though some may find my next few lines amusing and may actually be laughing at me right now in anticipation, I want to emphasize that I am pouring my heartfelt emotions into this article.) Sanzo's words resounded in my head, not literally of course, but it was his words that opened my eyes to how I should deal with my new experiences with rpg fans. I was now clear on my stand on the subject of fans and fanboys and perhaps any other events I may encounter in my life.


I liked FF7 because it was my first rpg. It's true, I also liked it because the graphics were excellent for its time. Yet, I also liked it for a reason much deeper than that, because beyond the graphics, beyond the music, beyond the rants of elite fans, FF7 is an excellent game. It doesn't matter if people start calling me a fanboy, because even if they did, I would still be an rpg gamer and the derogatory label of "fanboy," would sound like a praiseworthy title as long as I could still play rpgs. I realized that there is nothing wrong with being a fanboy, because no matter what your roots, old school, new school, whatever!, it will not change the fact that you are an rpg gamer.


Almost seven years, after its making, (I must be getting old ^_^) it is an opportune time to look back, reflect, and pay tribute to the game that rekindled the dying flames of the rpg revolution, Final Fantasy Seven.

Atmosphere

This is one of the few things I look for in a good rpg. It may not apply to all types of gamers, especially the light of mind. In itself, the atmosphere that I'm referring to here is ultimately indefinable (So you can tell I'm not referring to that invisible thing up there that we learned about once upon a science class.) I could say that it is the culmination of all the parts of the game including music, graphics, setting, but then, I would be telling a lie. Because like it or not, some games have it and some games don't. To name one, the famous gba rpg "Golden Sun" did not evoke any kind of atmosphere, but it still has excellent graphics, gameplay elements etc. On the other hand, any version of Lunar or Breath of Fire has that unique ambiance that really puts you into the game.

Final Fantasy VII's atmosphere gives you the feeling of being inside a world between science fiction and fantasy. During the first few parts of the game inside Midgar, I thought that this was going to be a futuristic "Star Wars" type of game. The mood of the game is generally somber and mournful and this is beautifully manifested in the divine musical scores. Of course, FF7 also has its lighthearted moments, that is quite prevalent in the game's amusement park "The Gold Saucer" but if you look deeper, you will see that beneath the world's largest amusement park, there is also the world's largest prison. Also, the people who live on the ground near the Gold Saucer suffer greatly from destitution. This portrayal of abundance above and scarcity below is subject to different interpretations, none of which are 100% accurate, yet all of them are quite valid. There are many other symbolisms within the game, that sadly, only a handful of gamers will ever come to appreciate.


The bottom line is, unless the rpg can capture my imagination with this key element, the atmosphere, I don't even bother playing it past the first day of purchase and this is why I can replay FF7 for more than a dozen times consecutively and still not get tired of it.

Unique Characters

Cloud Strife
This guy is the main character of the game. At first, he claimed to be an Ex-SOLDIER. SOLDIERS are human beings infused with the substance known as mako energy to become elite weapons of war. It was considered an honor to become a SOLDIER. However, later on, Cloud realizes that he never became a SOLDIER because he was physically weak and the mako infusion process left him physically impaired. This, combined with the trauma of watching his friend Zack gunned to death before him led him to take on Zack's persona.

Although he doesn't remember it until later, he once fought and won against the great war hero turned murderer Sephiroth to fulfill his promise to protect Tifa. Cloud is cocky and arrogant and always seemingly sure of himself, though in truth, he harbors many insecurities. His hair is reminiscent of animes like Dragon Ball Z.

Cloud's die-hard supporters may not admit it, but throughout the course of the game, he is a victim of fate and his decisions are usually influenced by foreshadowing events that he was never even aware of.


Aerith/Aeris Gainsborough
One of the most controversial characters in the game, her early death gives Cloud an extra motive for wanting to pursue Sephiroth.

Aerith is a flower girl from the slums of the city of Midgar. Many people consider her to be one of the sweetest and most innocent video game characters ever made, which is far from accurate. Although her looks say she is sweet and innocent, Aerith is actually a coquettish type of girl, who likes to act sickeningly cute and gets away with it most of the time because of the way she looks. However, she has a kind nature and an undeniable charm. Unlike many fanfics like to portray, she doesn't hate Tifa and never even gave the slightest hint of this during the game. Aerith is the last of the Ancients, a race of beings who could use magic without materia.


Tifa Lockhart
Undoubtedly the most popular FF girl of all time. Why? C'mon you don't need me to tell you that. If you're a guy and can't judge just by looking at her, I doubt you have enough brains to understand most of what I've typed up here.

Tifa is the owner of the bar "Tifa's Seventh Heaven" in Midgar. As Cloud's childhood friend, she soon develops deeper feelings for him when they meet again as adults. She is the kind of person who can get along with anyone and wants everyone to get along as well. This is shown in various scenes in the game, one example is her pacifying Cloud and Barret before they could start a fight. She is also very strong-willed and is not afraid to get personal with her fists.

Barret Wallace
Although he looks and speaks like a hulking moron, Barret is really a very determined and responsible man, who feels the need to take justice into his own hands. He formed the group of radicals known as Avalanche, but all of the members were killed by Shinra except for himself, Tifa and Cloud whom he hired as a mercenary. However, that event can also be viewed as a retribution for their terrorist bombing of one of Midgar's generators that took a lot of innocent lives. A consequence of their actions that they failed to anticipate.

Barret replaced one of his arms with a gun after it was shot by Scarlet of Shinra. He took it upon himself to raise Marlene, the daughter of his best friend Dyne whom he believed to be dead.

Cid Highwind
Like Barret, Cid has a heart of gold hidden beneath a cranky, foul-mouthed exterior. Although this is a blind side of his personality, Cid blames himself for the many failures he has experienced in his life. This includes the failed launching of the Shinra rocket in his town, due to his own negligence and it is manifested in his short-tempered attitude towards his subordinates.

Cid has the ability to become a great leader. His personality commands respect from his men. Perhaps his greatest triumph, was in choosing to join Cloud's party. Since this gave him another chance at his aviation career.

Yuffie Kisaragi
Although acquiring her is optional, Yuffie is one of the more popular FF7 characters. Many people have come to hate her because she steals all your materia in her sidequest and acts like a total brat about it, pulling all kinds of dirty tricks on your party until you can finally catch her.

Yuffie is energetic and fun-loving. Her presence lightens the mood of the game compared to the more mature members of the party. Some FF7 fans speculate that she acts childish because she craves the attention, which she never got from her father.

Vincent Valentine
How many times have we seen this stereotype in anime? Vincent is the cool, quiet and collected guy who can display incredible power when upset. He is also an optional character, but unlike Yuffie, he forms an integral part of the story because of his relationship in the past with Shinra and Sephiroth.

Vincent has a very troubled past and his only reason for joining Cloud's party is to find Sephiroth.

Red XIII
Yep, a cross between a dog and a lion, with a fiery tail and the ability to talk is definitely a cool idea. Red XIII is also known as Nanaki and like Aerith, he is the last of his kind.

Just as his looks would tell, Red XIII's personality is sort of a cross between Cloud and Vincent. He can be wise and cold-hearted, but he can also be cocky and arrogant. Red XIII loves his mother but despises his father for being a coward when the GI tribe attacked his village Cosmo Canyon when he was still a child.

Later on, he learns that his father Seto gave up his life fighting against the GI tribe even after their poisoned arrows had begun to petrify his body. This scene where Red XIII meets the stoned figure of his father is one of the most touching moments of the game.

Cait Sith
Not much can be said about this stuffed toy riding robot cat. His alter ego is a high-ranking official called Reeve from Shinra. Many times in the game he is torn between his loyalties to the FF7 party and Shinra.

Sometime in the game, it is implied that his stuffed toy form, actually has a personality and feelings of its own, separate from Reeve. This view of Cait Sith is more suited to asian gamers who have the cultural and religious background to believe in the spiritual attributes of certain things. If you are not, you may not see where this can be found in the game, or you may not acknowledge it.

Sephiroth
The perfect example of a psychotic antagonist. Sephiroth gained knowledge beyond normal human beings when he fell into the lifestream after fighting Cloud. Some people speculate that the Sephiroth in the game is not even Sephiroth, but a clone created by the cells of Jenova. Sephiroth is almost identical to Kenshin Hemura of Rurouni Kenshin, a calm, composed and cold-hearted killer. Of course, unlike Kenshin, Sephiroth has negative views of human nature, which is why he wanted to destroy everyone by calling down meteor.

So how evil was Sephiroth? My answer is that he wasn't even evil to begin with. Sephiroth's malice was driven by a principle. Though it was a twisted principle by society's standards, to Sephiroth, it was the only way to redeem mankind. If it's a question of morality, Sephiroth's only sin was his method of implementing his plans for the world, which included murder.


This collection of characters, though somewhat incomplete should be enough to prove my point. FF7s characters are excellent and dynamic, but they're not the best rpg characters ever made. I admit that there are other rpgs with better and more well-developed characters. What should be taken into account however, is the intermingling of the characters with the plot. To some, square/square-enix's storylines are convoluted and hard to follow, but it's actually a matter of perspective. To me, the story is like a puzzle, which you have to piece together in order to appreciate. Take note, that you do not need to fully understand all the aspects of the story (characters birthday, character's name, name of place, etc.) in order to appreciate its beauty. Like a piece of classic literature, FF7's story is not only meant to be taken at face value. Once you have replayed the game, you can unearth the many layers of interpretation underneath all the eye-candy.

Personally, FF7 has left me with many great memories and encounters with unique and memorable characters. It has left an indelible mark on my being as a genuine rpg gamer. It has broadened my perspective of the world, rather than close it down as the conservatives might believe. I see this game as a reflection of my own life and my own adventures in the unforgiving jungle of society. And someday, when perhaps, I might leave the world of rpgs, I can rest assured with the knowledge that I was also a part of the world of Final Fantasy Seven. I would like to conclude by saying, just as "Middle-Earth" existed even without Tolkien, FF7s world already existed even without Square or Hironobu Sakaguchi, and who knows, one of us "fanboys" could have produced it if they didn't.

1 comment:

M12 said...

Cool. What an extensive post. I'm about to start play FF7. I'm sure it's a cool game, but I just wished people would show more love to the other titles. FF6 etc.